If you followed the 2022 murder trial of Justin Breau, you know the case gripped Saint John. Now, the legal chapter closes for two of the men involved. The New Brunswick Court of Appeal rejected the appeals of Donald Robert Walker and Charles William Shatford in separate decisions released Thursday.
A jury convicted both men of first degree murder on December 18, 2024, for the killing of 39 year old Justin Breau. They received life sentences with no chance of parole for 25 years. You can read the original report on the decision from CTV News.
The 2022 Murder on Charles Street
Saint John police responded to a stabbing at Breau’s apartment on August 17, 2022. Breau had just left prison two days prior. Court documents show three masked men entered the apartment around 4 p.m. and stabbed Breau 13 times. One slash punctured his heart, and medical staff pronounced him dead at the Saint John Regional Hospital.
The case carries a heavy backstory. A court previously acquitted Breau of murdering Shatford’s brother during a drug deal. Breau successfully claimed self defence in that trial.
Walker Fails to Overturn Conviction
Walker based his appeal on the trial judge allowing the jury to consider out of court statements from Megan Ross. Ross was Breau’s girlfriend and the only eyewitness to the attack.
Ross called 911 after the men left and gave a police statement 30 minutes later. She initially said she could not identify the attackers. Later at the hospital, she told Breau’s mother that Walker committed the crime. She retracted this when a plainclothes officer identified himself. During the trial, she refused to testify and claimed she did not remember.
The Crown secured the conviction using the 911 call, police testimony, and the hospital statement. Justice Kathleen Ann Quigg delivered the court’s decision to dismiss the appeal.
“The trial judge did not err in law or in principle when he determined that excluding Ms. Ross’s 911 call and police statements would impede accurate fact finding,” wrote Quigg.
Shatford Loses Self Defence Argument
Shatford raised three grounds for his appeal. He argued the trial judge failed to properly instruct the jury on the legal principles of self defence and the intent required for murder. Shatford claimed he stabbed Breau in the heart to defend Walker.
He also argued the judge unfairly limited his use of evidence regarding Breau’s violent history.
Justice Quigg rejected these arguments.
“In my opinion, the trial judge did not err in instructing the jury on defence of person,” Quigg wrote. “He linked the applicable legal principles to the evidence. Contrary to Mr. Shatford’s assertions, the trial judge did not inappropriately limit Mr. Shatford’s use of jointly submitted evidence regarding Mr. Breau’s propensity for violence in support of his defence of person claim.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Who did the court convict in the 2022 murder of Justin Breau?
A jury convicted Donald Robert Walker and Charles William Shatford of first degree murder. Police also charged a third man with manslaughter.
What sentences did Walker and Shatford receive?
Both men received life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.
Why did the New Brunswick Court of Appeal reject the appeals?
The court ruled the trial judge acted correctly in both cases. The judge properly admitted eyewitness statements for Walker’s trial and correctly instructed the jury on self defence laws for Shatford’s trial.




0 Comments